October 13, 2017

How very curious

So, I wrote here about the busy week I had culminating in events of the weekend, and following that I found myself rather weary for a few days and catching up on things so had no opportunity to write.

The majority of the stuff I published in the last week and a half were written before last week commenced so I found myself having done little or no writing for over a week when I sat down to write this morning.

Curious it was that I really struggled.  I’ve been able to churn out up to 3 or 4 pieces a day for months effortlessly but when I sat there everything seemed very foreign to me.  I looked at my previous posts and they seemed wholly unfamiliar and whilst I have tried to keep up with comments I had to keep going back to look at what  I had written.  Lots of the ideas I had seemed rather empty and it struck me that my brain has been in a wholly different non creative place.

Browsing through my reader I wondered how much I had missed.  I have read a few things recently but so very little as I slipped back into the routines I had before I took up writing a few months ago and it struck me how very easy it would be for me to simply put down my pen and to not write again.

I had a few pointless conference calls at work today so I managed to scribble down a few limericks and haiku, and slowly things started to feel familiar again.  Tonight I have managed to plonk myself in front of the keyboard and I can just about feel the ideas starting to come back and thoughts forming.

I haven’t done this for long, so perhaps I do not have the muscle memory quite formed yet but I am now more aware of the need to keep feeding my brain and to try and maintain the creative processes because I didn’t much like the idea of not doing this again though it would be quite easy to let something else take its place because life can just get in the way sometimes.

Join the conversation! 23 Comments

1. Resonates big time! 😓

Liked by 1 person

2. You giving up writing is unacceptable.

Liked by 1 person

3. Good to keep exercising the muscle! I step away from my writing every so often. It’s healthy. Gives you a good perspective on exactly what it is that you want to create. That being said, I’ve started writing daily again after nearly three years no writing and I hope I don’t ever stop again. So much of my life is defined by the act of writing. That was a good read; I like your introspective pieces. All the best.

Liked by 1 person

4. You’re a writer. Writers write. You’ll be fine. It happens to all of us. I agree that life can get in the way, so we take a detour. You are too talented to quit. Please don’t.

Liked by 1 person

5. I am glad you have not given up on writing… you are very talented. I truly believe we all see writer’s block from time to time, we just struggle through or take a short break and then return. Life really should “get in the way” occasionally or you’re not really living. I look forward to what comes next from you!

Liked by 1 person

6. Life certainly can get in the way, I find it happening so often myself. And it does take some time to settle back in after we’ve been away for awhile. Glad to see you haven’t lost your ability though. Isn’t it amazing how quickly it all comes back! 😉

Liked by 1 person

7. Sometimes I write and publish after getting very drunk. In those cases, I always forget what I’ve written. I log on, and see loads of comments, and think, “Dear baby Jesus, what have I done?”

Liked by 1 person